Friday, February 27, 2015

Nutrition Bite of the Week: A Paleo Take on Oatmeal (Not really Oatmeal)

In my quest to continue to find new recipes to try and keep things interesting, I came across a slow cooker recipe for paleo "oatmeal," but really it is "n'oatmeal" because it has a base made of nuts. I tried this recipe over the weekend, and wow, it is tasty!  I was truly surprised by how good it was, and how much it resembled 'real oatmeal' (look wise).  I want to thank Arsy Vartanian for posting this recipe on her website/blog, because it is delicious, quick, and simple!


                                                       (picture from http://www.rubiesandraddishes.com)


What I really like about this recipe is that there is minimal sugar, the only added sugar comes from coconut sugar, and only 1 tablespoon at that for the entire recipe, the other sweetness comes from the butternut squash and apples.   You can add some raisins on the top if you like, and garnish with coconut flakes (read: dessicated coconut in the recipe, and unsweetened is what I would recommend).

If you have a few minutes on the weekend to put the ingredients into a slow cooker, and then let it sit, this is an easy way to make breakfast for a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment