Friday, September 1, 2017

Week 1 In the Books!

This week, I had my students working a few different things. Students that are returning to my classes for a second or third year (taking Honors Engineering, Honors 3D Printing, etc) started working on their project proposals for the year. Each group of students must come up with an idea for a project that they can build. It can be just about anything, and I encourage them to be creative; look for new ways to do things, look for ways to make improvements on existing products, and overall, how can their project add something to the community or be relevant to the world?

My new students, taking Honors Tech and Design Thinking, learned how to use the 3D printer on Tuesday, and on Thursday went through the Stanford D-School Virtual Crash Course. I love this exercise for the students. I love this exercise for me! It helps teach my students how to become a design thinker, think like a creator or producer and not like a consumer. In this world, we are so consumer driven, that is how most of us think. I want my students to think like designers, like producers, like entrepreneurs. It also helps remind me of how to think like a designer and not a consumer. This was not easy for them, and I really love how it presented them with challenges to how they think!

My students sharing their new points of view with each other!



No comments:

Post a Comment